Sunday, August 25, 2013

Unteachable Review

Unteachable
Author: Leah Raeder
Published: July 27th, 2013

I met him at a carnival, of all corny places. The summer I turned eighteen, in that chaos of neon lights and cheap thrills, I met a man so sweet, so beautiful, he seemed to come from another world. We had one night: intense, scary, real. Then I ran, like I always do. Because I didn’t want to be abandoned again.
But I couldn’t run far enough.
I knew him as Evan that night. When I walked into his classroom, he became Mr. Wilke.
My teacher.
I don’t know if what we’re doing is wrong. The law says one thing; my heart says screw the law. I can’t let him lose his job. And I can’t lose him.
In the movies, this would have a happy ending. I grow up. I love, I lose, I learn. And I move on. But this is life, and there’s no script. You make it up as you go along.
And you don’t pray for a happy ending. You pray for it to never end.

I rated Unteachable 4.5 leaves! The story is about an eighteen year old girl that has a relationship with a teacher that she meets under false pretenses at a carnival.  Evan and Maise have an intense relationship that breaks all rules and is forbidden by society. The moment they set sight on each other, everything in their world is turned around.  The book is told in Maise's point of view. With that being the case, we see that she is a mature girl for her age but like every teenage girl her emotions are a roller-coaster. Her feelings are ten times greater than the average person. Maise is tough. She hasn't been raised in the best childhood and she has reflected on that growing up. She is confident in who she is, not worried about fitting in to any particular crowd. Evan is wow... he is sexy and sweet all wrapped up in a pretty bow.  Who couldn't resist that forbidden fruit?! This book is about so much more than just a student falling for her teacher. It's about finding out who you are, and what your actions are in life and how you make yourself be a better you.

The author created a world where the lines between right and wrong are really thin.  The author gives you the ability of being objective and you never feel like she is trying to convince you that the situation is right or wrong. I loved this book and will read more from this author again! I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys reading the forbidden stories about real people and a story that will let you think about your idea of love.


I was born in the 80s, which means I have fantastic taste in music and atrocious taste in hair. I knew at eight years old that I wanted to be a published author when I grew up. Of course, when I was eight, “published author” was a glamorous daydream where I spent all day in bookstores, signing hardcovers and posing for photos with fans. In reality, authordom involves lots of bourbon-scented tears and neurotic self-doubt. At least there are fewer mullets.
As well as being a writer, I’m a voracious and omnivorous reader. Seriously. I read everything from contemporary Young Adult to dense, doorstop literary fiction. Some of my favorite writers are Vladimir Nabokov (Lolita), Virginia Woolf (Mrs. Dalloway), F. Scott Fitzgerald (Tender is the Night), and Jeanette Winterson (Written on the Body). I’m a total poetry geek, too—my two absolute favorites are Emily Dickinson and Sylvia Plath.
All the pretty colors on this website were made by me. In my non-bookish life, I’m a graphic designer.
I’m from Chicago and have lived all over the world, from NYC to LA to Tehran, Iran. I currently live in the Windy City with my partner, Alexander, who’s very understanding about all this girlsmut business.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment