Monday, October 21, 2013

A Summer to Remember Review


Jerrica Peterson doesn't believe in love and although she is a successful art gallery owner in Manhattan at the tender age of twenty-four, life has played a cruel trick on her.

Two years ago, an incident at Vassar College ruined her life and destroyed her relationship with her boyfriend. Now, the only purpose men serve is for temporary satisfaction.

However the summer of 2013 is about to be explosive and everything she believes about life, love and friendship is about to be turned on its head.

It's a summer where she will discover true love, travel to three amazing getaways: the Hamptons, Martha's Vineyard and Miami Beach...and where she will realize that having the love of her life is truly fulfilling but when she has her three best friends in tow, life is made that much sweeter.

This is a New Adult novel appropriate for those 17+ due to mature content, language and adult situations. HEA endings and NO CLIFF HANGERS!

Seasons of Love & Lust will consist of the following full-length novels which follow a group of four best friends who all attended Vassar College. Think Sex & the City meets Gossip Girl:

A Summer to Remember (Jerrica's story)
Falling For Autumn (Autumn's story)
Winter's Regret (Talia's story)
Spring Fling (Savannah's story)

I gave A Summer to Remember 2.5 leaves! This book was like a reality TV show. You have a love/hate relationship with the characters, but it’s so addicting you can’t help but keep up with it. That’s exactly how I felt reading this book. I kept saying I should stop before the characters say something or do something even worse, but I just couldn’t put it down! All the characters were basically like, “We’re so rich and beautiful, but oh we have commitment and love issues and our lives suck”. Uhhh… I think the author was trying to emulate Sex and the City or Gossip Girl or something. And then the author constantly drops name brands like nothing else. It reminded me of Lisi Harrison’s Clique series that I read when I was in middle school. For so many little details, like what race each character is, who’s wearing what brand, and who’s parents are billionaires, this book actually turned out to be a quick, light read.

The book was told solely from Jerrica’s POV and it revolves around her, her three best friends, her brother, and her brother’s best friend slash the love of her life, Paul. A lot of times I laughed at the shallowness of the characters, so there was that at least. I could see where Jerrica was supposed to be an independent, headstrong woman. She was badly hurt by her long-term boyfriend, and she goes off and sleeps around. She is confident in her bed skills and looks, which I admired because I needed a break from the low self-esteem heroines, but then she doesn’t think she is deserving of happiness because the ex-boyfriend damaged her. I couldn’t relate to her much because I didn’t think she acted her age (well, none of them did to be honest), but I did like that she owned her own business and that she wasn’t afraid to be who she wanted. Her best friends annoyed me. I would’ve liked Talia if she wasn’t so weak when it came to her own love life. Her brother was okay until I found out he doesn’t do anything. Paul, meh. I could see where he could be swoon-y but he fell short. His dialogue just felt stilted and I didn’t agree with a lot of his actions. I liked when he was actually being honest, because then he said things that surprised me. But, for the most part, he didn’t do it for me either.

All in all, I could definitely see what the author wanted this book to be; unfortunately, it was poorly executed. The whole time I was reading it, I felt like I was indulging in a guilty pleasure. Like as if people would judge me for reading such a book. But, dang it if wasn’t strangely addicting. I ended up reading it in one series. It reminded me more of the Kardashians, even though I’ve never seen that show. I hope she tries again in the next book in the series, or maybe the two after that. Surprise! Each of the best friends gets their own book…


Elle Chardou is a world traveler and author of several different series. 

Ms. Chardou is the author of The Ties That Bind Trilogy, The Atonement Series, The Hart Family Saga, The Vamp Saga, The Supernaturals, Undertow, and Beginnings: Book I (The Plague) series. 

She is currently working on A Summer to Remember from the brand new Seasons of Love & Lust series, Only Love (The Atonement Series) and Queen of the Immortals from The Vamp Saga series.

Ms. Chardou has lived abroad in Stockholm (Sweden), Manchester (England), Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area and Portland. She currently resides in Las Vegas, Nevada


No comments:

Post a Comment