Saturday, November 2, 2013

Broken Dreams Review




Rainey Daniels has been keeping a secret since she left her hometown, three years ago. The death of a friend’s father, though, has her questioning whether or not running away from her past is what’s best for her future. Add sexy Chris Baker in the mix and she’s even more unsure. After all, life is short.

Baker is an all-around good guy with a great sense of humor struggling to keep his new bar afloat. And he always thought Rainey was hot, even when she carried a few extra pounds in high school. Hell, he thinks she’s too skinny now. He knows she’s hiding something, too, but when he pushes the issue, she pushes him away. He tries not to care; she only wants a summer fling, right? But when her life is threatened, he realizes he may just be in love with her… and then he learns her secret.

Can they find love together before it’s too late?


I gave Broken Dreams 2.5 leaves. I liked that this was a short, quick read. The content was kind of heavy, but, unfortunately because it was so short I found it hard to connect with the characters. I was told this was part of a series, but it could be read as a standalone. For the most part this was true. However, I feel like I would have liked the circle of friends a lot more if I had read the first book.

Rainey has a secret, one she won’t tell anyone but maybe her two closest girlfriends. She doesn’t think much of it, until it comes back with a vengeance. Inconveniently, it’s at the time when she is back in Maine living with her never sober mother. And shacking up with her long-time friend, but also friends with benefits, Baker. I liked Baker actually. He was all sweet and boy-next-door. The only reason I didn’t like them much is because they went from “oh, it’s just a casual summer thing” to “I love you. I always have, and I always will” in like two seconds. I was like wait what? How did that even happen? There wasn’t even like a really big epiphany moment. Things were just happening way too fast, and it was predictable.

As much as I love a stubborn heroine, Rainey drove me insane with her stubbornness when it came to Baker. She basically wanted to keep him in the dark about everything, and the best part was she didn’t have a good reason why either. I mean, looking back it was because her sub-conscious knew she loved him way before she could admit, but still. Anyway, I liked the originality of the story. I wasn’t sure how I felt about their circle of friends. Wolfe and Gabby def issues. I can’t believe the story left off where it did. I don’t know what the next story could even be about. People say that the books are getting better the more we get into the series so we shall definitely see…


 Dawn Pendleton is a new adult author who began her writing journey in New England with her husband and their pup, though she now resides in Georgia and promptly became a Southern Belle (or so she likes to think). When she isn't staring at a blank page, willing the words to jump from her head to the screen, she's usually playing on her iPhone, reading a book, or taking pictures with her fancy camera (which she has no idea how to use).

Her newest release, the first novella in the Best Friends Forever Series, was an idea that occurred to her back in February, when she first started writing. She wasn't at a place where she could write them, though, so she started her Broken Series, instead. Through this past Summer, the BFF series emerged in her head, taking more space until she finally had to let them out. Liar, Liar, the first episode in the series, released this past Tuesday and is free on all retailers.

Aside from writing, she's the founder of Generation New Adult, a magazine that focuses on the new adult genre! 

Website I GoodReads I Twitter I Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment