Friday, June 14, 2013

Otherwise Alone/Occupied Review






















Otherwise Alone (Otherwise Alone #1) 

Lieutenant Evan Arden sits in a shack in the middle of nowhere, waiting for orders that will send him back home - if he ever gets them. Other than his loyal Great Pyrenees, there's no one around to break up the monotony. The tedium is excruciating, but it is suddenly interrupted when a young woman stumbles up his path. He has two choices - pick her off from a distance with his trusty sniper-rifle, or dare let her approach his cabin and enter his life.   

Why not? It's been ages, and he is otherwise alone...

Otherwise Occupied (Otherwise Alone #2)  

Evan Arden is a hit man for a Chicago mob boss. He lives his life day to day with the company of his dog, Odin. He has to work hard to get back into his boss’s good graces, but the target proves to be difficult. As demons of his past begin to haunt him, he seeks the comfort of sleep from an unlikely candidate, but will confiding in her be his undoing?




I rate both of the books an average of 3.5 leaves! Otherwise Alone is a short story, four chapters to be exact. I knew the book was going to be short; but holy crap, I wanted this book to keep going! I'm so glad I had the Otherwise Occupied ARC on hand, so I could continue this story. Here's the jest of the story. Evan has been in the middle of nowhere Arizona for three months with his dog, sent to live until further notice. He meets Lia, who stumbled across his shack. Their connection had me so captivated; I was on the edge of my seat to read what would happen next with Evan and Lia!
 
I really have no clue how to start this review of Otherwise Occupied. I say this, because this was a type of book I don't usually read. I'm all about romance and some dark reading, and Otherwise Occupied definitely had the dark effect to it. The story picks up where the first ended. We find out more about Evan, and we follow his job as a hit man for a Chicago mob. Because the story is told from his POV, we get a glimpse into his secret-filled mind and learn why he acts the way he does.
 
Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I wanted to find out more about Evan and Lia. I was a little disappointed she didn't make a huge appearance until later in the book. Be prepared for an epilogue that will keep you up at night! I really struggled with the ending, because Shay Savage, author of Surviving Raine, hit us with a cliffhanger! I'm hoping there will be another book in the series, so I can find out what happens to Evan and Lia. If not, I have it planned out in my mind the way I want it to end ;-)  
 
To read my review of Shay Savage's Surviving Raine, visit HERE.
 

 Shay Savage lives in Cincinnati, Ohio with her husband, two children, and a variety of household pets. She is an accomplished public speaker, and holds the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster from Toastmasters International. When not writing, she enjoys science fiction movies, and loves soccer in any and all forms. During the fall, she coaches her daughter’s soccer team. Though she currently works in the technology field, her school background is in psychology, and she brings a lot of that knowledge into the characters within her stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment