Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Another Dirty Dozen, Part II

I read so many wonderful stories in the month of September and October. I can't believe I already have enough to write a second round of dirty dozens. From the looks of these lists, you would never know I hated reading as a child. As a teenager, I actually acted as if I was too cool to sit and read. I was a movie buff. When the time came to complete book reports, I only chose books with movie adaptations. My love for reading came after reading Twilight. Corny? You bet your ass. The older I get, the more embarrassed I am to say that, and I'm not sure why. Twilight meant more to me than just a love affair with Edward; it changed the course of my life. I read the first book in one day followed by the second and third books within the week. Coming from someone who hadn't recreationally read a book in probably 10 years, three books in a week turned my world upside down. After Twilight, I became addicted to the escape.

At that point in my college career, I had no idea what I wanted to do. Music Education...Theatre... Communications...Theatre...Communications...I couldn't make up my mind. In 2009, I left school after my sophomore year without enrolling for the fall semester. I was extremely depressed and decided to bum it for a summer by the pool. No job, no school, no dream. I was pathetic to say the least. Then Twilight happened, and my love for literature became the rope to pull me from the deep dark whole.

Reading just wasn't enough. I had stories of my own to tell but didn't know I had the creativity to put words to paper. Then, one very early morning, I sat down at the computer and began typing. What I wrote was not bestseller worthy, but the words flowed free and filled page after page. Characters appeared, tragedy set the story in motion, and I found my purpose.

My absolute favorite part about writing is how I have no control on who the characters are and the actions they take. In my mind, I know their futures. I know the decisions they plan to make, good or bad. Love or lust, illness or death, their stories play like a movie in my mind. Even if I wanted to change it, I couldn't.

Do I have a story to share with you? Yes, I do. I am working to copyright my work-in-progress project, so I can share it on my blog. Until then, you're just going to have to listen to me ooo and ahh and talk dirty over other great stories.

3-4) The Breathing Series
http://rebeccadonovan.com/

"We were engaged in a very intricate dance of touching without touching, knowing without saying, and feeling without expressing. We were friends walking along a ledge, a very thin ledge - and I was too caught up in my heightened awareness of his existence to realize how close the ledge was to crumbling beneath my feet."



When I first started writing these reviews, I did the "textbook" - this is the characters, this is what the story is about, this is why I love it. This method is a classic and gets the job done, but I always feel like I'm giving too much away. I want you to escape into the story, just how I did. Of course, if I'm listing it on my blog, you have to know I love it to pieces. This series is one to fall in love with, cry over, glue your heart back together, grab another box of tissues, and start all over again. The Breathing Series is a beautifully, crafted story spilling over with love, family, friendship, secrets, thrill, and major cliff hangers! Rebecca Donovan's story will leave you wanting... Luckily, the third and final installment releases June 2013!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment